What is TestLink?
TestLink is one of the most popular web-based and open source test management tools that facilitates software quality assurance. It supports both manual and automated execution of test cases. It is developed and maintained by Teamtest. The platform offers support for test cases, test suites, test plans, test projects and user management, as well as various reports and statistics.
With this tool, the testers can generate Test Report and Test Plan Documents within a minute. It supports the generation of Test reports in MS Word, Excel and HTML formats.
Features of TestLink
- Testing coverage
– Black Box Testing
– Functional/ Manual Testing
– Automation Testing
– Agile Testing and Traditional Testing
- Organizing, Managing and Tracking Feature
– TestLink tool creates, centralizes, organizes and manages test cases very effectively and efficiently.
– Test cases are organized in hierarchical structure (tree menu)
– It can share test case repository across different projects, releases and sprints.
– It supports run and re-run of test execution suites and captures step-by-step test execution history with detailed explanation.
– It supports test run specific configuration and parameters.
- Reports/Charts Generation
– It supports test case and test execution reports.
– Requirement and traceability reports.
– Defect reports.
– Export of documentation to HTML, MS Word and MS Excel is supported. And reports could be mailed directly from the tool
– TestLink supports numerous add-ins to connect with different software to make work easy. Wide range of add-ins make it universal across the globe – JIRA, Mantis, Bugzilla, Trac, etc.
– It also supports Rally and VersionOne integration.
– It supports to create and assign the user’s keyword.
– It supports cloning the entire test case repository along the project setting.
TestLink – Dashboard Overview
After logging into TestLink, the UI (dashboard page) will look like the following screenshot. Of course, user has to be assigned to a project to get this view. Dashboard is customized by Admin. Based on the roles, admin can set the access of TestLink.
- The tool bar icons, which is present at the top left corner of TestLink dashboard remains same across all the pages of TestLink. It contains My settings, Logout, Project, Test specification, Test execution, Test reports, User management, Events, Plugins.
- From the left side menu- test project, test specification and other links can be accessed quickly.
- From the right side menu- Test plan management option can be accessed quickly, for adding or managing a test plan.
- On the top right corner of TestLink, there is test project drop-down to select test project easily.
Benefits of using TestLink : How it can help in testing process
- It is an open source test management tool. That’s why the cost of license for paid tools can be saved.
- It provides support for multiple projects as a single web application.
- It allows very easy interface that allows to export and import of test cases. So, the test cases can be reused to save effort and time.
- Test cases execution can be easily handled through XML-RPC.
- TestLink tool permits an easy filtration of test cases. Test cases can be filtered through version, keywords, and Test Case ID.
- TestLink allows to create multiple users in the system and allows to assign test cases to these users easily.
- TestLink tool not only allows to create multiple users but also it can provide credentials to these multiple users with the assignment of various roles to them.
- TestLink permits to generate test plan and test reports easily. Reports can be generated in various formats such as Excel, MS Word, and HTML formats.
- TestLink tool can be integrated very easily with many defect management tools which may or may not be open source tools. Some of the defect management tools supported by integration are JIRA, MANTIS, BUGZILLA, TRAC, etc.